Pre Kindergarten Information
Teachers: Mrs. M. Benavides and Mrs. M.L. Garza - Room A6
Mrs. A. Estelle and Mrs. R. Soliz -Room A5
Mrs. B. Gaddis and Mrs. M. Macareno - Room A4
Welcome to the exciting world of Pre-K. We are so excited your child will be in our Pre-K classroom at Harvey Elementary. The following are some important details about our classroom that will help your child transition away from day care and transition into the PreK4 classroom at Harvey Elementary.
• Arrival: Class begins at 7:30 a.m. Please be on time. Teach your child the importance of school and being on time. If you arrive after 7:45 a.m., you will need to go through the front office and get a tardy slip. All the side doors will close automatically at 7:45. Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 7:50 in our classroom. Please kiss and reassure your child that you will pick them up promptly at 3:00. The longer you stay the harder it will be for your child to let go. We know how difficult it is for you to leave your child for the first time, but we will do our best to make him/her feel safe and welcome in our class.
• Dismissal: We dismiss at 3:00. The side doors will open at 3:00. Please be prompt! Your child will feel happy if you are always on time. Please form a line outside the door and wait patiently for your child’s name to be called. If you want to discuss a concern or problem, please wait until all students have been dismissed. We can then talk privately.
• Attendance: Attendance if very important at Harvey Elementary! Please bring your child to school every day. Please make DR./Dentist appointments afterschool. We want for your child to have the best education possible.
• Harvey Dress Code: Uniforms must be worn daily.
• Early pick-up: If you need to pick up your child early, please go by the office and get a permission to leave school. Attention: only those persons LISTED on the emergency card can pick up your child, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!
• Lunch: Lunch will be served in the Harvey Cafeteria from 11:15 to 11:45. Your child may eat the cafeteria food or bring his/her own lunch. PLEASE let us know if your child has any food Allergies!
• Snack: We will have a small snack every afternoon. I will make a schedule every month for parents to see when to bring snacks for the entire class.
• Restroom Procedures: We have a restroom inside our classroom. Please discuss with your child about going to the restroom on his/her own. Encourage your child to practice wiping by himself/herself.
• Change of clothes: You may want to put a change of clothes in your child’s backpack in case of an accident.
• Backpacks; Your child will need a backpack to take papers home. Please write your child’s name on the backpack.
• School Supplies: We will send another list for supplies later. We hope you can help us.
• Birthday Celebrations: You may send cupcakes and juices for Snack on your child’s birthday.
• P. E. and Playground: Students have PE with Coach Garza daily for 30 minutes. Students will exercise, play games and have free play.
• Nap Time: Students will take a nap daily. Please discuss with your child about taking a nap or resting quietly. At this age it is important for little ones to rest after a busy morning. Students will need a mat or towel for resting.
• Computer Lab: Students will go to the Computer Lab for 40 min. daily. Your child will need to bring head phones to use. Please write his/her name on the headphones.
• Library: Pre-K students will visit the library but can’t check out books. Parents need to check out books afterschool.
• Accelerated Reader Program: Teachers will read stories to the students daily. Teachers will test for comprehension on books read. Students will receive AR points. For more details please ask us.
• Discipline: Behavior Color Coded Cards are used in our classroom. Green- Good behavior
Yellow card- Warning :I Orange Card- Time out Red Card- Trip to the office Parents will receive a Discipline Form to fill out. Please return the following day.
• Homework: Students will have homework on Tuesdays. At this age, it is important for a parent to sit with the child and encourage the child to do their best. Please return the homework the following day.
• Progress Reports: Will be issued on the 3rd week of the six weeks.
• Report Cards: will be issued at the end of the six weeks. Please sign and return inside the report card envelop.
• Fundraisers: We will have a couple of Fundraisers at Harvey. Please try to help us. We do have a Harvey Coin Drive all year long. Students bring coins to put in our Hungry Bear container and will get a free trip to the “Treasure Chest”. We turn in the coins every month to the Counselor, Mrs. C. Garza. The winner of the most money collected will be announced at the end of the school year.
• Box Tops for Education: Bring in all of your Box Tops. Harvey has classroom competitions to see what classroom collects the most Box Tops.
• Blue slips: Blue slips for doing something good or positive. Students at Harvey are given Blue Slips by their Teacher or other Teachers. The Blue Slips will be taken to the office and placed in a container. Mrs. Mireles, our Principal will draw names in the morning and if your child’s name is called, he/she will receive a special treat.
• WHAT WILL YOUR CHILD LEARN IN PRE-K: We will post a note outside the classroom to show what Theme we will be learning, Letter of the Week , Word of the Week, etc.
1.Pre-K Curriculum Program- Scholastic Big Day for PreK- Units of Learning which includes Math, Science, Social Studies, Letter Knowledge lessons, Storytelling, ELA (English and Spanish)
2. Alphabet letters and sounds (Students are expected to know all 26 letters by December)
3. Recognizing numbers 0-20
4. Counting 0-30 and to 100
5. Simple Addition
8. High Frequency Words (27) (We will learn one word a week.)
9. Write first and last names (First letter uppercase and all the other letters lowercase)
Example: Maria not MARIA
10. Write simple sentences. Read simple sentences.
11. School Procedures and Expectations ( Rules) Be Safe Be Responsible Be Respectful
And Much, Much, More!!!!!!!!!!
We are going to be very busy learning this year. Every day will be a learning experience.
If you have any questions or concerns or just want to talk, my Conference Period is 10:15 – 10:45 daily.
* Please keep this information for future use! Thanks in advance for being great parents and grandparents.